Sunday, July 21, 2013

A Revelation

Today is Sunday, July 21st, 2013 and I had a breakthrough of monumental proportions!! Honest ... I did!!

Let me tell you what happened...

Go back to two weeks ago Wednesday night, on the  3rd of July, this same year (obviously!). I was at a small group from our church, a group of women and one guy (our pastor) whom I dearly love. One of the women made mention of all of the young people with mental illness.  

BOOM!! 

Just that quickly I was transported back in time to when I was younger and living in Philadelphia. I had done a lot of temporary work back then, the easiest way for a military spouse to keep working and making good money even when traveling from post to post.

For a while, I was the Financial Intake Coordinator at an Adult Day Care facility. This young man came in, 22 years old, and his name was "Walt". (I have not given his true identity so as to protect his family and others in this story. He came in on a Wednesday for his intake, then came to classes Wedesday, Thursday and Friday. When we left the building Friday, I remember saying to him "Take care of yourself and I'll see you on Monday!" He gave a half-hearted wave and was gone.

When I went back to work on Monday, there was a stillness in the air. When I asked my boss what was going on, she said "Can you come into my office please? I need to talk to you." So I went. When I got there, the Advocates were there also, all teary-eyed. I looked around the room and said "So, what is going on that has everyone crying?" She looked at me and said "You remember Walt, the guy who came in for help last week?" I nodded quietly. I did remember him. "Well," she said, "he was admitted to a facility on Saturday and jumped out the 5th story glass window yesterday. I am sorry to tell you that he is ... well ... gone."

I remember how quiet the room got. Everyone there knew that I had befriended him, even after much admonishment to not do so. I couldn't help it. He seemed so out of his element all of the time. My heart hurt for him.

So, here I am at group, and it's as though I've been transported through time. I know, odd right?? This death had so deeply disturbed me at the time that I had buried it so deeply that not a single person in my private life knew about it.   In fact, until just 2 weeks ago, I had buried it and forgotten all about it. Yet here it is rearing it's ugly head ... again ... DEATH!!

Fast forward to today, another small group with another group of people that I am incredibly close to (including our pastor). 

One of the members of our group recounts how just a few days before she had been involved in the emergency care of a 22 year old man who had jumped off of the 5th floor of a parking garage. WOW.

Immediately the similarities strike me and I find myself asking God "Why so much the same? What do you want me to do? How can I help these young people realize that death is NOT the answer but that You, dear Jesus, are?"
I am at a loss. 

So here I am, asking anyone who reads this to PLEASE, please, PLEASE lift the names of any and all young people that you know to our Abba Father in prayer. He so wants to know them all!! If a name crosses your mind or your heart, and it may not even be a name known to you, PLEASE believe that God is using this to get us to cover His children, every single one of them, in prayer.

I believe in the power of prayer. I believe that God owns all that is on this earth, whether it is material possessions, land or money ... it is HIS. Continue praying as though our lives depend on it because, dear people, someone's life certainly MAY. 

1 comment:

  1. "Abba - Father": I just pray for unspoken and spoken requests for those who are named and un-named that You will let your children know that You have them covered by Your Divine Grace and I speak against the Lies of Satan / Lucifer and the Demons; that by the Power of Christ the Messiah that any and all sicknesses and diseases be bound and cast out in the Name of Jesus Christ. Amen and Hallelujah!!!

    ReplyDelete